Goals and Function
- Certify only well-trained, competent, responsible, and ethical professionals.
- Establish widely accepted standards of proficiency and professionalism that guide the training, development, and performance of botanists and their products.
- Facilitate relevant professional training.
- Maintain and promote courses and training in academic, field oriented, and reporting arenas.
- Require routine recertification to ensure botanists stay up-to-date with current scientific practices and regulatory requirements.
- Serve the needs of botanists who wish to establish and validate their professional credentials.
- Guide biologists, governmental entities, regulatory agencies, courts, and the public in defining minimum standards of knowledge and ability for professional botanists.
- Establish a critical peer evaluation of a botanist’s knowledge and skills based upon defined minimum technical skills and knowledge.
- Encourage all practicing botanists to meet established professional standards.
- Assist the public, regulators, and project proponents in identifying qualified professional botanists.
- Create and maintain confidence in the advice and opinions of Certified Botanists, as well as educated and experienced professionals, who have pledged to uphold the Botanist Code of Ethics.
- Recognized on the Register of California certified botanists
- Hold a Certificate as a Certified Field or Consulting Botanist
- Receive a Certification number and relevant acronym for business cards and (email) signatures
- Annual California Professional Botanist newsletter