CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 12-11-2000, 12:18 PM
Anonymous

Default acorn collecting for coast live oak

Is it too late to collect acorns for the propagation of coast live oak?

Also, what is the two-flat system for germination of seeds, using sand in top flat and peat moss in bottom. Why would you use this technique and is there a certain type of seed that this technique would work best for?
Old 12-14-2000, 02:04 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: acorn collecting for coast live oak

Denise.

In my part of the central coast Arroyo Grandethere are still quite a few acorns for harvesting. In some cases all the acorns may have fallen off the tree so you have to dig around on the ground to find them. Just make sure they are plump and there are no insect holes in them.

As far the germination technique you are referring to I can't say that I've heard of it. I have had great success by sandwiching the acorns between two moist pieces of sphagnum moss and placing them in a ziplock bag and placing them in a protected area outside out of direct sunlight. The acorns usually start to germinate in about 2 weeks. Once they do take the ones that have germinated and place them in 1 gallon pots. They should be good in the 1 gallon pots for the first year after which either plant them out in a desired location or transplant them into 5 gallon pots.

Hope this helps.

Jeff</p>