CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Anonymous

Default seed propagation

Date: 10/31/02
Time: 12:29 PM

Hi, I hope I am posting this in the right place. I was hoping someone had some information on seed propagation of Platanthera, Perideridia, and Trilofium species. I have a small restoration project in Siskiyou county, and these are some natives that I couldn't find any information on. Can anyone help? Thank-you Kathy
Old 06-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Anonymous

Date: 11/05/02
Time: 06:36 PM

Kathy - Propagation of Platanthera may be difficult, since orchid seeds are very, very tiny. This is related to the other difficulty with orchids - the seeds are small because they lack endosperm, and depend on a friendly soil fungus for nutrients. These fungi grow symbiotically with the native orchids for the life of the plant. If you have heard about mycorrhizal fugni growing with the roots of plants, this is an example. Trifolium should be easy enough to grow. I highly recommend the book by Dara Emery, called Seed Propagation of California Native Plants. Oddly enough, he does not list either Trifolium or Perideridia, though. You might do a Google search like "propagation of Trifolium" or "propagation of Perideridia" and see if there is any info on the Internet. Good Luck, ...Lori Hubbart