CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Anonymous

Default Request for Recommended References

Date: 12/28/01
Time: 11:35 AM

I am a member of the Florida Native Plant Society, and will be making a trip to California in the early spring to visit relatives in LA. During this trip, we expect to visit Anza-Borrego Desert State Park if the weather indicates that the desert plants will be in bloom. I am not experienced at all with the California flora, and my relatives are not botanically inclined. Are there any plant references that would be helpful in appreciating the desert experience for a botanically inclined person with zero experience with California plant families?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Anonymous

Date: 12/31/01
Time: 02:49 PM

Hi Gwen,

The book "Colorado Desert Wildflowers" by Jon Stewart is a wonderful picture book for identifying blooming Anza Borrego that you should be able to pick up at a bookstore. The book "Anza-Borrego Desert Region" by Lowell and Diana Lindsay is an excellent guide for how to get to some interesting places in the park but doesn't have much natural history info. There is also a book titled "Guide to Birds of the Anza Borrego Desert" by Barbara Massey. All should be available through the CA State Parks at Anza Borrego. Yaeger's work is interesting to read but your best bet for identifying flowers is the Colorado Desert Wildflower book or the pamphlet your can buy that has the commonly seen flowers. Contact me if you have problems finding the references and enjoy your trip. I love Anza Borrego even when it isn't blooming. Cindy