CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 02-03-2000, 03:34 AM
Anonymous

Default SF Bay Peninsula planting

I'm fixing to transform our lawn at our Burlingame front yard into an oasis of natives. The area is small and no trees can be added. The front yard is on the shady side of the street. I'm just getting started. Does anyone have recommendations for low-growing 4-6'high shrubs that they've used?</p>
Old 02-04-2000, 11:51 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: SF Bay Peninsula planting

Oregon Grape Mahonia aquifolium and California Grape Mahonia pinnata are attractive shade tolerant evergreen shrubs with shiny dark green leaves and clusters of berries. You might combine Oregon or California Grape with Thimbleberry Rubus parviflorus, a decidous shrub with soft velvety Maple shaped leaves. Thimbleberry has clusters of white single flowers in spring followed by red berries in summer.</p>
Old 02-05-2000, 03:07 AM
Anonymous

Melanie,Our local Chapter in Humboldt Co. NCC-CNPS has a 'Native Plants for the NorthCoast' guide that I would be glad to send you. We have sections on shrubs, ground covers, and herbaceous perennials that you might find useful.E-mail me your address and I will send you a copy.

Pete</p>
Old 06-28-2000, 04:42 AM
Anonymous

I am also replacing my lawn with CNPs but I will need to use raised beds since I won't be using ground soil. Any suggestions for what type of soil to puchase and where?</p>
Old 07-12-2001, 10:04 AM
Anonymous

Dear Melanie, As an employee for Rec. and Park Dept. in S.F., I oversee a native restoration project, some under a dense canopy. I've had good luck with these three. Snowberry Symphoricarpus albus, Winter blooming current Ribes sanguineum and Toyon Heteromeles arbutifolia. Be careful planting Toyon as disturbing the rootball increases the risk, unlike Ribes. For color, I suggest some native clovers, columbine or others around the your area, bunch grasses are another suggestion. If you would like more ideas, please feel free to E-mail me at the above address.

Sincerely, Richard Bach</p>
Old 07-12-2001, 10:05 AM
Anonymous

Dear Melanie, As an employee for Rec. and Park Dept. in S.F., I oversee a native restoration project, some under a dense canopy. I've had good luck with these three. Snowberry Symphoricarpus albus, Winter blooming current Ribes sanguineum and Toyon Heteromeles arbutifolia. Be careful planting Toyon as disturbing the rootball increases the risk, unlike Ribes. For color, I suggest some native clovers, columbine or others around the your area, bunch grasses are another suggestion. If you would like more ideas, please feel free to E-mail me at the above address.

Sincerely, Richard Bach</p>