CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Anonymous

Default California Dunes Symposium Oct. 20

Date: 09/20/01
Time: 10:21 AM

Conservation and ecology of desert and coastal sand dunes will be the topic of a symposium co-sponsored by the Southern California Botanists and CNPS on October 20 at Cal State Fullerton. Please direct your browser to http://www.cnps.org/alerts/ShiftingDunes2001.pdf for more information.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Anonymous

Date: 10/26/01
Time: 10:32 AM

Hi Steve,

I attended the Dune Symposium cosponsored with Southern CA Botanists and learned a great deal. Thank you. I was disappointed by the lack of extensive botanical presentations though. Does that mean little research is being done in southern coastal dune systems and desert dune systems? I know in my neck of the sand, I don't hear much about research being done and most of the coastal dunes are covered in seafig. It may just be my level of ignorance on the topic though. Take Care, Cindy
Old 06-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Anonymous

Date: 11/09/01
Time: 10:44 AM

Hi Cindy. You are right. There is NO research being done on coastal dune botany or dunes botany. A grad student started on Pierson's milkvetch but didn't continue. Dr. George Poinar is doing some research on Oregon dune plant / insect interactions. Steve H
Old 06-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Anonymous

Date: 11/23/01
Time: 10:51 PM

I actually shared my observation with Dr. Romspert at the Symposium and he made a copy of a report he co-authored with Jack Burk available to a few interested people. The report was to BLM for a 1978-1979 Sensitive Plant Project and discusses biological aspects for seven Algodones Dunes sensitive plant species. Between that work and the two reports downloadable from the BLM site on recent Monitoring Results for the Algodones Dunes and articles in Fremontia on sand food, I started to get an understanding about rare dune species at the Algodones Dunes. I am perfectly happy to forward a copy of Dr. Romspert's study to anyone else that might be interested. Cindy