CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Anonymous

Default Foothill College's Native Hill

Date: 06/11/00
Time: 07:15 PM

My dad gave me an article about the potential paving over of Native Hill, the native garden at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills. I sent a letter (attached) and encourage others to express their feelings about this decision. 30 May, 2000

John Schulze, Director of Facilities Foothill College 12345 El Monte Rd. Los Altos Hills, CA 94022

Dear Mr. Schulze and Other Decision-Makers:

I read with dismay the possibility of building a science and technology building, parking lot, and road where Native Hill now exists. I can well appreciate why horticulturist Ellie Gioumousis is stunned. I myself have seen far too much development?even in the name of a reasonable cause such as academic facilities?wipe away our California landscape heritage. That this is for a science and technology building is an untenable tradeoff. If educational systems can turn their backs on our environmental gifts, what kind of message does this give? If colleges are in our midst to teach?and people rely on them to do just that?what does this action teach?

I lived in San Jose for 26 years and watched almost every square foot of orchards and fields succumb to asphalt. The enclosed poem I wrote one day while walking past yet another travesty, as earth movers transformed a once-beautiful orchard into housing and strip-mall pavement. Blackbirds once flew gracefully and exuberantly over the mustard fields between the trees. Before long, the only thing that flew in the area was automobile exhaust.

I moved to San Mateo last year but am still very much concerned about the Santa Clara Valley and the continued destruction of its once celebrated beauty. And I shudder every time I visit the South Bay and find yet another piece of pavement covering what once gave us life and breath.

I also volunteer on various preserve projects to protect and bring back California?s native plants, so I know how difficult it is to establish and maintain the habitats for our plant legacy. Believe me, it?s not just a labor of love to preserve California?s ?golden? treasures?it?s a struggle and a challenge against many odds.

I implore you to reconsider your decision to destroy Foothill?s native garden and look for a better location for your new construction.

Sincerely,

Patricia J. Kaspar - 234 Elm St. #211 - San Mateo, CA 94401