CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Anonymous

Default Chopping down a California Live Oak

Date: 05/24/00
Time: 11:42 PM

A neighbor of a friend just chopped down a huge healthy California Live Oak that shaded my friend's house though it was rooted on the neighbor's property. Where can I find if there are codes/laws etc. that he might have violated? The tree was in perfect health, and he chopped it down motivated by personal anger toward my friend. The city took pictures and said that if his land adds up to an acre or more, he broke a law. I'm wondering if anyone knows about that law or any other.

Thanks!

--Leslie
Old 06-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Anonymous

Date: 05/25/00
Time: 08:12 AM

You can check out many laws (city, county, state, agricultural etc>) on the internet. Type in key words connected by a plus sign to limit your search. There is a lot out there to feed your interests. In the mean time tell your neighbor to plant a new tree.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Anonymous

Date: 05/24/00
Time: 11:45 PM

By the way, this occurred in the Santa Monica Mountains, City of L.A. , L.A. county.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Anonymous

Date: 05/25/00
Time: 08:25 AM

Leslie,

The first place I would look would be the City and the County regs. You want to see if they have an "Oak Tree Ordinance" or a "Tree Ordinance". From your first message, it sounds like the City may have an ordinance that only applies to parcels over 1 acre. The City Planning Office or the County Planning Office should be able to help you with locating a copy of the pertinent document.

Then you need to figure out whether or not the landowner violated the ordinance and what the possible repercussions might be. Unfortunately, many tree ordinances only call for a small fine and planting 1-to-few new trees.

Good luck in your quest! Carol