CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Great Wildflower Spots

Old 06-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Anonymous

Default Bear Valley - Colusa Co.

Date: 01/28/02
Time: 10:18 AM

I was looking for information on the name of the tree I recall seeing invading the riparian habitats in that area including the river there (Bear Ck?). It looks like a lilac or white weep-willow shape, I think it was an ornamental introduced from Asia, it is choking much native vegetation along the rivers. Sorry I am not more specific, but it has been a while since I had the pleasure of visiting N. California and my memory is not that great. I do hope you can help me with the name of that alien plant pest.

Thaks kindly for your time. Doug Dawn Monterrey, Mexico
Old 06-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Anonymous

Date: 03/04/02
Time: 05:02 PM

I've forwarded your message to Craig Thomsen, who is doing weed control and restoration work in that area. (His email is cdthomsen@ucdavis.edu)
Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Anonymous

Date: 03/21/02
Time: 03:53 PM

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the tamarisk shrub/tree.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Anonymous

Date: 03/25/02
Time: 06:41 AM

Tamarisk is indeed abundant along the creek as you enter from Hwy 20 and drive toward the bridge.

On a related note: we just went there last wekend (23 Mar) and there is clearly a new crop of...NO TRESPASSING signs posted. With gates now in place where once were semi-open roads, and with a clear intent to limit access to the fields, it is frustrating to drive 100 miles to look at adobe lily from 10 feet away.

I stopped a ranch hand as he drove past to ask permission to crawll under the fence. He said that the owner has given everyone specific instructions to keep people out. In the ensuing conversation, he mentioned that the owner had wanted to build an observation access of some sort but that he got such a hard time from some "nature group" over how he intended to do this that he decided he wssn't willing to argue and made the ultimate propert owner statement: he closed the area entirely.

Steve
Old 06-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Anonymous

Date: 07/17/02
Time: 01:41 PM

You are a total geek and a nerd. aBC!