CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > K-12 Education Topics

Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Anonymous

Default Serpentine soil and local plants

Date: 01/14/04
Time: 05:17 PM

I am in 8th grade and I have to do a Science Fair Project. i am really interested in Botany and decided to do it on plants. I talked to my teacher and he mentioned Serpentine Soil and how it has a mineral dificiencie which effects some local plants. Also i think doing somthing with serpentine would be cool and uniqe. I was wondering if you guys had any Information or ideas for 8th grade level science projects involving serpentine soil. Thank you very much! From Ali Morreale Aliswim2002@yahoo.com
Old 08-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Anonymous

Default science project

Hi Ali,
I think that your project idea sounds great. I do botanical field research for a private landholder in Redding. Two summers ago we did a project on rare plants growing in serpentine soils in the Trinity Alps near Weaverville, CA. It was a lot of fun and we have a sizeable library of rare plant/serpentine photos if you need any to incorporate into your project. As for an actual serpentine project, it may be a little difficult to execute since I don't know if you can buy serpentine soil. You may have to collect it from the field. If you live in an area of the state where you can access it, you could plant native and non-native plants in the soil and descibe how and why one grows better than another. This would allow you to have a hands on project as well as do research about adaptation of native plants. Good luck with your project. It is a fun topic to study and it is great that a young botanist is interested.