CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Anonymous

Default Irrigation system -- need it?

Hi,

We are going to install a native garden with a meadow area and some ground cover. We've heard conflicting things about whether or not putting in an irrigation system / drip is a good thing to do. (As we are on a tight budget, we don't know if we would want to install irrigation if we would end up not using it after 2 yrs. On the other hand, we don't want to kill any of the plants either!)

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Greg Rubin

Default Native Plant Garden

An excellent website with great information about native plants including their descriptions and needs, irrigation requirements, garden design ideas, the importance of mulching, etc. is www.laspilitas.com.

Las Pilitas is a native plant nursery with two locations - one in Southern California at Escondido in San Diego county, and the other in Northern California in San Luis Obispo county.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Anonymous

We landscaped with natives 3 years ago and decided to hand water until the plants got established. We did not put in irrigation/drip since we have broken previous systems and aren't good at repairing them.

The only thing I would do different is to make sure I have faucets every 30' or so with short hoses so I don't have to drag a long hose all over the place.

Three years later, many shrubs are well-established and only need water once in two weeks to look good.

I am in San Jose with a sunny, south-facing front yard.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:48 PM
ireneh

Default Irrigation

If you have a smaller yard that you can readily hand water during the establishment phase of the planting, then you don't need an irrigation system. For larger yards or difficult access, you can use overhead rotary or impact heads. I stay away from drip at all costs, unless I have riparian plants. Drought tolerant natives seem to hate drip emmitters.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Jeff

If you can get the timing right, you probably don't need irrigation but if you don't have the patience to water deeply, it's helpful to install a system and plan to abandon it in a couple years. You can use microspray instead of drip for a better sense of where the water is going. I like to run it for a week to get things thoroughly soaked then turn it off for a couple weeks. If you are doing wildflowers and the weather doesn't cooperate, a spray system is very helpful to prevent young seedlings from dying. You can soak the ground early in November and extend spring through June with an irrigation system.