CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2000, 09:48 AM
Anonymous

Default Sierra Foothill planting

I live at the 4000 foot elevation in the Sierra foothills and have been spreading seeds around me 3 acres for a few years now with next to no results. There are so many things to consider: What to grow in the 30 foot Fire clearance around the house, When to plant? I've tried fall and spring plantingsafter the last freeze here can be in June, What type of soil preperation? What are deer resistant?they love lupine! Where do you find local seeds? I've read you shouldn't mix planted packet seeds where natives are already established to protect purity but that is not very pratical if you want seasonal enhanced varieties. I would like to create a year around naturally propagating no/low maintance, drought tollerant, deer resistant, fire retardant garden. Good Luck </p>
Old 02-01-2000, 04:49 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Sierra Foothill planting

Paul, what kinds of plants and plant communities are on your property? What is growing in the buffer zone around your house now? Describe the climate and the lay of the land.</p>
Old 03-12-2000, 01:54 PM
Anonymous

Im looking for native flowers/shrubs to grow at the 2500' level which need no irrigation.</p>
Old 05-23-2000, 10:13 AM
Anonymous

Drop me a note with some more detail especially where you are. I live in El Poratl but have fairly extensive experience in the sierras. Ben</p>
Old 10-11-2000, 04:07 AM
Anonymous

We live in a transition zone at 4000 feet with oaks, firs, pines, and cedars. Manzanita, some lupine and irises and lots of bear clovermountain misery that is so flamable I removed it from the 30 foot clear zone grow round the house. Most of the clear zone is eastern morning exposure but I have some northern and southern on a sloping red clay soil, this area having been hydrolicly mined a century ago. We get snow most of the winter yet hit the hundreds in the summer.</p>
Old 10-11-2000, 04:10 AM
Anonymous

See above reply</p>