CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 07-02-2000, 03:49 PM
Anonymous

Default Which plants attract honey bees the most in southern CA?

I need to find out which plants provide nectar for bees, so that they can make their honey. Also, which native plants do you suggest so that I may study their habits in my backyard. Thanks!! laura botfeld</p>
Old 07-09-2000, 04:30 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Which plants attract honey bees the most in southern CA?

Laura, I can purchase buckwheat honey and white sage honey in San Diego suggesting Eriogonum fasciculatum and Salvia apiana would be good choices for attracting European honey bees to your yard. When I am out in the field, these plant species are quite popular with bees. Both species are fairly easy to grow if my having not killed them can be used as a measure. They should both be readily available in the nursery trade.

Cindy</p>
Old 07-10-2000, 03:37 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Which plants attract honey bees the most in southern CA?

I asked one of our CNPS members, Sue Mills, who knows about these things and she said:I don't know where this person is. The bees will decide what plants theywant to forage for nectar to make honey. They will only go to one kind at atime; obviously whatever is blooming in abundance, near the hive. Scouts goout to look and communicate to the hive where to go. I'm sure she can getany of this infomation from an apiarists society or from UC Davis, which isavailable on line. I'd have to get back to you with the specific addressbut she may be able to find it faster by herself.I do know that in this area, laurel sumac and buckwheats are sought bybeekeepers when placing their hives. She might start there, but where shelives there may be other plants that would be preferred by honeybees.</p>