CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2002, 08:02 AM
Anonymous

Default Aquatic plants native to northern CA wetlands

I am an aquarist at Turtle Bay Exploration Park, a museum in northern CA. I have been given the task of creating an outdoor 'natural' wetland in our facility. I need to find some native plant species that could thrive in a shallow basin 30' max depth including substrate with direct sun about 1/2 the day. These plants would need to be happy in the hot summers and rainy winters of north CA. Substrate will be mostly 'swamp muck' but anything can still be used. There will be shallow areas as well as deep and we`d like to have a good diversity of plants. Preferably we`d like hardy species that will not shed too many leaves or seeds to plug up a filter system. Also, are any of these plants readily available for purchase or common enough to find locally? Plants are not my specialty, but do any of you have suggestions?</p>
Old 11-22-2002, 05:11 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Aquatic plants native to northern CA wetlands

Andy - A really good resource might be your local CNPS Chapter. I think I`ve heard of this project - is it in the Mt. Shasta region? At any rate, you can find the local chapter through the CNPS website - and call someone! Good luck, Lori Hubbart</p>