CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 01-20-2000, 01:50 AM
Anonymous

Default Mariposa Soil

Hi,I'm purchasing a 58 acre parcel of land near Mariposain the Sierra Foothills. Currently, Pines, Oaks,and Manzanita are in abundance. I'd like to gardenand maybe grow some crops in the meadows. Are ther any soil maps available for the area?Can anyone suggest what would be appropriate to grow from the Native Plant Society point of view? I'velived in cities most of my life. This is a new andvery exciting change for me. I could certainly usesome help finding information.Thanks,iggy</p>
Old 01-28-2000, 11:43 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Mariposa Soil

Hi Iggy,

Although I can understand your desire to beautify your new parcel, as a lover of native plants and the ecosystems in which they thrive naturally, I would be very reluctant to do too much gardening and would especially avoid farming the meadow.

You could try just looking around at adjacent parcels to see which ones have more flowers, better trees, etc. and then try to emulate the management practiced on that land i.e. level and intensity of grazing. Removal of weeds also helps to promote native flora and fauna and might enhance the appearance of your land. And finally, you might be able to obtain some local native seed to try to increase the spring bloom.

I would just recommend that you take it slow at first. It is really hard to undo a disturbance such as farming and you may find that the natural ecosystem appeals to you. It is certainly better for the native animals, birds and insects as well.

Cheers, CarolCarol WithamSacramento Valley Chapter</p>
Old 05-23-2000, 10:10 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Mariposa Soil

Drop me a note with some details. I live in el portal and can offer you some assistance as well as a site visit if that is what you would like. Ben</p>