CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 07-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Anonymous

Default Native trees...Central Valley?

2-part question: My parents live in Davis, CA and just recently their 50 year old cork oak tree die from disease in their front yard. They want to replace the tree, but this time with a large sized deciduous tree with brighter green leaves. I suggested that they should look into planting a tree native to the Sacramento area. The ones that I came up with were Blue Oak and Sycamore. 1 Can someone suggest other large native trees that make good residential trees low maintenence, fast growing, and pretty? We live on Oak Ave. and so an Oak tree would be preferential. 2 Does anyone know where in the Sacramento area that I could find one of these native trees for sale? Is the CA Native Plant sale only once a year?</p>
Old 07-15-2002, 03:50 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Native trees...Central Valley?

Andreas - Maybe valley oak Quercus lobata is native to the Davis/Sacramento area. There is an excellent native plant nursery near Sac. - run by Ann and Jeff Chandler, but I can`t remember what it`s called. I don`t know if they sell directly to the public or not. Your best bet is to go to the local chapters section of the CNPS website and contact the Sacramento Valley chapter directly. Good luck, Lori Hubbart</p>
Old 09-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Anonymous

I have about 50 one-year-old valley oaks, and a few blue oaks. The valley oaks come from a massive 200-300 year old specimen in Roseville. I`m considering starting a small native plant nursery in the area. </p>
Old 09-16-2002, 12:16 PM
Anonymous

Is that Cornflower Farms in Elk Grove?</p>
Old 09-16-2002, 12:20 PM
Anonymous

Addendum: If it is Cornflower Farms to which you refer, they do indeed sell to the public, but only once each month on the 2d Saturday. You`ve just missed September. I was there on Sept. 14 and bought 22 plants. I`m just beginning the transformation of my garden to natives.</p>
Old 05-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Anonymous

You might try Redwood Barn nursery in Davis [ http://www.redwoodbarn.com/ ]. I had a nice chat with the owner, Don, and he`s very helpful. Also, Capitol Nursery in Citrus Heights has Valley Oaks, at least they did several weeks ago when I was there. You might spend a little as opposed to getting a tree for free, but it`s an investment you shouldn`t skimp on.</p>