CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 03-28-2002, 05:09 PM
Anonymous

Default is the aesculus californica o.k. for santa monica yard?

I love this tree--am tempted to try it in my santa monica back yard. Does anyone know about it's hazards regarding bees? Or are the fruits poisonous to squirrels--humans etc thanks!</p>
Old 04-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: is the aesculus californica o.k. for santa monica yard?

Laura,As regards the bees, it is poisonous to them but thankfully they are not the pollinators for the plant. I often see butterflies on them and they come to no harm. If bees were being poisoned I would see them on the walkway beneath my trees and I have not.As far as squirrels and the seeds, I have no clue.

Of course the shrub/tree itself would grow quite well in your area and my only real concerns are your possible location. In short, how close to natural landscapes full of natives are you? You would not want it to escape into the wild via seed. They are large seeds which could tumble down slopes and will germanate very easily. How close are you to the Santa Monica Mtns? Another consideration might be that it could hybredize with Buckeyes in the wild and possibly pollute the genetics of your local strain. I am not sure you have them in the Santa Monica's.

So, just to be safe, I reccomend calling the local CNPS chapter and ask them about how close you are to wildlands and possible problems. We love to have natives in our yards but don't want to mess up the wild varieties surrounding us while doing it. Your chapter has a voice mail and someone will answer your question if you call 818881.3706. The LA/Santa Monica Chapter is crammed full of smart folks who are willing to help.I know this sounds a bit confusing, and perhaps more than you wished to know-but better safe than sorry.

Best wishes-Dan</p>
Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Anonymous

Thanks Dan -- I will follow up as you suggested -- you are taking this to a whole new level that I don't have much knowledge of -- and certainly should understand!

Also--how fast would you say the tree grows -- height and width??? Any root problems? THANKS! laura</p>
Old 04-28-2002, 03:50 AM
Anonymous

I planted one in 1990 in Benicia and now it is about 15 feet high and wide. It has a single leader with a nice shape. It had two drip emitters that gave it four gallons a week. The soil is clay. No obvious root problems. I liked it so much its limb structure is beautiful in the winter, although it can look like its dying in August when the leaves drop I planted two more at my new house across town about four years ago. The are about six feet tall. It irrigate them the same way. One is squat the other is tall. Again, no obivious root problems.</p>