CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2000, 10:22 AM
Anonymous

Default Can native trees cover telephone wires in Santa Monica???

Any suggestions on planting native trees to cover 30-50 foot high wires in my backyard?? I was all prepared to plant bamboo, when I picked up a book on 'The California Landscape Garden.' Now I am finding out about a whole new approach working with native plants etc.. Are Oak trees appropriate for a backyard? Is any kind of bamboo ecologically correct in Santa Monica? My yard is 40 X 40 and I need some kind of trees to block out wires. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!</p>
Old 05-23-2000, 10:24 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Can native trees cover telephone wires in Santa Monica??

Are you trying to block the view of the wires or actually cover up the wires? If you are going to actually hide the wires in the foliage, that is not something I would recommend. Utility companies will see to it that the wires do not remain hidden. If you are trying to block the view oaks will work , make sure they are native to your area and not just to California. Drop me a note with more details and I will se what I can do. Ben</p>
Old 05-23-2000, 03:42 PM
Anonymous

Thanks Ben for your response! There are 6 wires running across the back of my lota 50ft. span and are attached to a very unsightly telephone pole about 40 ft. high. The lowest wire is the ugliest, and is about 25ft. high. The wires and pole are set 40ft. away from my house, however, I look directly into them. Blocking the view would be enough for me, although I do see many neighbors actually covering the wires with morning glory vines, Ivy and Pepper Trees. Quite frankly, I do not understand how the city allows this, it seems like a safety hazard to me.? Some also plant Bamboo screens in front of the wires. I want to avoid this walled in effect. I am look ing for some sort of light and airy blockage in front of the wires. The view can be open from the ground to about the first 25 feet up, where the wires start. I like the concept of planting native trees to enhance the local wildlife and environment. So, if you have any brainstorms, I am eager to hear! You raise a good point about oaks, how do I find out which oaks are native to Santa Monica. Maybe coast oak? Also, what are your thoughts on Torrey Pines and/or Sequoias? Thank you!!!!</p>
Old 05-24-2000, 10:17 AM
Anonymous

Let me check on a few things and I will get back to you with more definitive answers. Cottonwoods are rapidly growing trees and produce lots of shade. I'll get back to you later with more. Ben</p>
Old 05-24-2000, 10:19 AM
Anonymous

Laura - check out the answer to santa monica natives from r.tata.</p>
Old 05-25-2000, 01:02 AM
Anonymous

Laura - Me again. After some initial research there are about seven oaks that grow in your area that would be ok for your needs. My favorites are Black Oak Quercus kelloggii and Blue oak Q. douglasii. The others are Q. agrifolia, Q.durata, Q.engelmanni, Q.garryana, Q.john-tuckeri, and Q.lobata. Also check with Santa Monica Mountains National Reserve. They should have a Botanist or Fire Ecologist that can help you. Jeanne Taylor used to work down there, but I do not know if she still does. Let me know what else you need. Ben</p>
Old 05-26-2000, 12:53 PM
Anonymous

Ben--thanks so much for your research! I will call the Santa Monica Nat'l Reserve after this holiday weekend and follow up on your lead. I will report back with my results. Why do you prefer the Black & Blue Oaks? Also--I visited the Theodore Payne native nursery. They had a california laurel tree that seemed like a possible alternative for blocking my telephone post. Any feedback on this tree versus oaks? Thanks Have a great weekend. I really appreciate your help!!</p>
Old 05-30-2000, 02:32 PM
Anonymous

An oak is a good choice, however extremely slow. A better choice that is much quicker is Lyonothamnus asplenifoilus floribundus-- or Catalina Ironwood. Best of luck--and please--no more bamboo!!! Casey</p>
Old 05-31-2000, 01:11 AM
Anonymous

Well, I like Black Oaks because they make better acorn. Blue for the color variation they are not green. Bays are nice, the seeds can be roasted and eaten like cornnuts. It will just take the bays longer to get to the height you want. Anything but a non-native will be a nice addition to your yard. Ben</p>
Old 06-01-2000, 02:47 PM
Anonymous

thanks Ben for your detailed info on oaks--my next question regarding oaks--is it possible to have any of the oak trees next to a lawn if I keep irrigation away from the trunk--or how many feet apart do you think I need between them. thanks</p>