CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2001, 02:40 PM
Anonymous

Default Propogation of Aristolochea

Need some info on how to propogate Dutchman's pipe. I've got seeds fresh from a pod. Can they be raised from cuttings? Sure would be nice to get some growing in my property as we're haveing great luck attracting butterrflie with other natives and we would like to help our pipevine swallowtail firiends as well. Thanks!</p>
Old 09-12-2001, 01:39 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Propogation of Aristolochea

George -

First, I hope you live in or adjacent to an area that is home to pipevine swallowtails. Here on the Mendocino coast, we could plant Aristolochia and no swallowtails would come, because we are miles and miles from their natural habitat.

You certainly can grow them from stem cuttings, though I can't remember the best season to do cuttings.

Seed should work fine, too. The book, Seed Propagation of Native California Plants, by Dara Emery the definitive treatment, a must-have book says the seeds need no special treatment. So, make up a nice light seedbed medium and plant them.

Good luck,

Lori </p>
Old 09-14-2001, 04:08 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Propogation of Aristolochea

Dear Lori,Thanx for your feedback. We live in the range of the butterflies. We took some photos of the larva on Pipevine in the Tilden Park Botanical Garden in Berkeley.I will try and forward them to you. Here in El Cerrito where we live there have been sightings of them and there is a stand of pipevine in Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito. I would be nice though to encourage all native host plants of California endemic Butterflies. It would be nice to support commercial nuseries who offer native plants of all kinds, let alone the butterfly hosts. Again thank and I hope it works!George McRae.</p>