CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 04-04-2000, 01:52 PM
Anonymous

Default Native Plant Nursery Web Sites

We want to set up some links to native plant nursery websites. Do you have any in your area with active websites? If so, let me know. The only ones I have located so are are Yerba Buena Nursery yerbabuenanursery.com and ForestFarm, the mail order nursery in Oregon forestfarm.com.

Let me know what you come up with. Thanks</p>
Old 04-05-2000, 06:56 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Native Plant Nursery Web Sites

One that I know of offhand is www.laspilitas.com. The site has loads of information including and online book called Guide to California Native Plants. It also has information on specific plants and I believe a search function. Try it!</p>
Old 04-05-2000, 08:31 AM
Anonymous

There is a list of Native Plant Nurseries withsome links, accessable through the CNPS home pageby clicking on 'Links' then 'Gardening with Natives'then 'California Native Plant Sources'. </p>
Old 07-03-2000, 04:51 PM
Anonymous

The Theodore Payne Foundation is an excellent source of plants and most of all seeds. It's adress is http://www.theodorepayne.org</p>
Old 04-22-2001, 07:35 AM
Anonymous

I have a question and a comment RE: native plant nurseries.

My question: where are the native plant nurseries in the greater Sacramento area? A search of this website, Fremontia, the Bulletin, the yellow pages, the newspaper, and I see nothing about native plant retailers in this area. I moved here recently, and would like to plant a substantial part of my yard with native species. In my former area Sonoma Co. I knew where to shop, but here in Sac.???

This brings me to my comment:The list of native plant nurseries on this website should include a lot more nurseries, including those that may not have websites. I have no problem making a telephone call to inquire about hours, plant availability, prices, etc. Not listing ALL native plant nurseries is a disservice to CNPS goals. For instance, I know of at least three native plant nurseries in/near Sonoma Co. that are not listed. Why not? They are Mostly Natives in Tomales Marin, North Coast Natives outside Petaluma in N. Marin, and California Flora in Fulton, just N. of Santa Rosa.

If I can help this website by providing contact information for those nurseries, please let me know. In return, I'd appreciate any information on native plant nurseries near Sacramento.

thank you!

Peter</p>
Old 06-19-2001, 01:21 PM
Anonymous

Try search for 'Appleton Forestry'</p>
Old 07-30-2001, 02:14 AM
Anonymous

Look at the California Native Grass Association website, www.cnga.org, in 'Resources'.</p>
Old 02-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Anonymous

There aren't any native plant nurseries that I know of. Eisleys in Auburn has a fair selection of natives though. Talini's on Folsom Blvd in Sacramento has a few natives. There is a small nursery in Davis called Redwood Barn which had a few native perennials asclepias, mimulus, Aquilegia formosa the last time I was there.

I really haven't come across any nurseries in this area with a good native plant selection. If you have a day to spare a better bet would be Murphy's Nursery in Murphy's. They have a good selection for a non-native nursery. I have also had good luck with Andy's True Value Hardware in Sonora, which orders from Shelterwood Nursery in Jamestown. There is also a small native plant nursery on the Miwuk Reservation in Standard, but they never seem to be open.</p>
Old 02-25-2002, 10:26 PM
Anonymous

http://www.planetearthnursery.com/

http://www.westernsierranursery.com/

http://www.sierraazul.com/

</p>