CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Forum Member
Brodie22 is on a distinguished road
Default Planting a Native Tree at my Daughter's Birth

My wife and I are expecting our first child in May. Iíd like to buy a sapling or small tree, something grown within the last year or so, to commemorate my daughterís birth, that could grow with her. Since I donít expect to live in our house for more than a few years, Iíd love for the tree to be able to grow in a large pot or a half wine barrel, then eventually be planted in the ground.

My dream is for my daughter to watch this sapling grow into an enormous tree over the course of her life. We live in Southern California, so Iím looking for something native and appropriate to this climate, that would grow heartily and reliably for a long, long time (a century I suppose). I might want to plant the tree in a public space at some point, so my daughter would be able to access it regardless of moving houses, things like that, and Iím wondering if certain species would make that possibility more likely.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Forum Member
dionkar336 is on a distinguished road

Wow, this forum is slow to respond. How enormous you thinking David? Dr. Hurd manzanita might be a good choice, or a tree form ceanothus. Elderberry is also an idea. Of course, nothing beats a good ol' native oak, or a redwood/ sequoia if you want truly gigantic. Hope this helps.