CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Forum Member

dionkar336 is on a distinguished road
Default petition to use natives in new landscaping

Hello everyone,

I was hoping you can take the time to sign this petition, asking San Jose State University to use all natives in their landscaping. If you can also pass the message along to family and friends, that would be great.

Thanks,
Dion
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/449/5...te-university/
Old 10-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Forum Member

This has been getting a lot of views and no responses or signatures. I was wondering if something in the petition is making people not want to sign it? Any thoughts from veteran CNPS members?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM
East Bay Chapter

Peter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionkar336 View Post
This has been getting a lot of views and no responses or signatures. I was wondering if something in the petition is making people not want to sign it? Any thoughts from veteran CNPS members?
Perhaps it is as simple as the petition creating a discomfort over asking a large cultural landscaped space to become exclusively "native" planted ?

First, to be truly "native", the campus should plant LOCAL natives ("California natives" are mostly NOT native to San Jose). Such a limitation would likely make for a starkly uninviting human landscape.

Second, the petition then does not recognize other key issues (esp. today) such as the water scarcity. Yes, it may be implied that "natives" require less water than "exotics", but there are plenty of California natives that require more water than may be prudent to have the university be required to use.

Third then, is the possibility not considered by the petition, namely to plant for BOTH landscaped planting aesthetics, and water conservation.
This might allow for plant species from many "mediterranean" climates (demanding less water) to decorate the campus.

I recognize that a diverse plant species array does not imply a native biodiversity (as pointed out in the petition cover, many native animals depend --often to a high degree-- on native (local) plants for their own survival (locally).

Anyway, my point is that perhaps "selling" the campus administration on planting/landscaping for water conservation (and perhaps even reduced level of gardening labor costs?) may bring them to the table more readily than will the confused notion of planting "native" ?

Peter
Old 10-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Forum Member

I see... Thank you for your detailed response Peter. I will try to revise the information on the description to be a bit more concise and emphasize the points you made. I will also be sure to emphasize "locally native" as opposed to the broadee terms used before.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Forum Member

Petition closed. The university accelerated their planting schedule despite being sluggish for some time. Despite the master plan saying natives would be a part of new landscaping, there are no new natives. Instead, we have invasive grasses, cold tolerant bamboos, and exotic bromeliads that won't survive the winter.