CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > K-12 Education Topics

Old 06-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Default Plant pollution

Date: 02/02/01
Time: 05:43 AM

I too am looking for research on plant pollution.

The green plants not the power plants! I too am doing a science fair project on the effect of car maintenance products on plants and watching the Stomata of the plant adapt to the environment. please e-mail me.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:32 PM

Date: 02/10/01
Time: 01:09 PM

Hi Emily, I am sending you a link to a phytoremediation web page. This will give you some background information to get started. The reference section of a university should provide some good information also. Check botanical and environmental engineering periodicals for recent bioremediation and phytoremediation articles or for habitat restoration articles.

You need to think about what constants and variables are normally used in such a project. What types of plants are used?, what types of pollutants are treated in this manner?, do certain types of soils show the better results in phytoremediation?, how much sunlight and/or water do the plants need for phytoremediation to be effective?,etc.

You need to pick a focus to present within your project. For example, how do one or two of these variables (choose the most important) affect pollution uptake?

What happens to the plants after the pollution is absorbed? Are the contaminants broken down into non-harmful components or are they retained by the plants? If the pollution is retained by the plants are there special removal and disposal procedures involved?

Good luck. Hope this helps. Mary
Old 06-16-2004, 06:33 PM

Date: 05/29/04
Time: 02:58 PM

I'm looking for any research on the impact pf lead on plants