CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 07-08-2002, 04:55 AM
Anonymous

Default green turf lawn - how to get rid of?

I want to replace my green turf lawn with a low water native landscape but am looking for options on how to get rid of the lawn? Any ideas on how to kill the root system in the grass - preferably in an eco friendly manner - would be appreciated. Tks. Kerry</p>
Old 07-08-2002, 05:57 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: green turf lawn - how to get rid of?

Here is an idea. Put a wet layer of newspaper over the lawn. Then layer with peat moss, barn litter, compost, grass clippings, chopped leaves, and wood ashes. For more information about this method--see Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza. </p>
Old 07-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Anonymous

Kerry, Do you know what type of lawn it is? If for instance it is fescue or bluegrass or rye, then no poblem! Simply remove the turf with about a half inch of roots. You can rent a sod cutter for that. If however your lawn is a warm season variety that spreads using stolons and rhizomes, bermuda, saint augustine, etc then it is more difficult to remove. The roots must ALL be removed or the turf grows back. Since it sounds like you are against the use of Roundup, or other herbicides, it will be a bit harder to remove. Perhaps the previous response has merit. Best wishes-Dan </p>
Old 07-09-2002, 03:51 AM
Anonymous

Dan, I`m not sure what kind of grass it is..when the previous owners put the house on the market just over one year ago, they put in new grass and a sprinkler system. I`ll see what I can find out. But, if it is the first kind of grass that you mentioned bluegrass, etc. and I use a sod cutter could I just leave the cut off grass on top maybe turn in over so the roots are exposed and just let it die then just chop it up and blend it back into the soil? Or, would that somehow stimulate eventual growth? K</p>
Old 07-09-2002, 03:56 AM
Anonymous

JoAnn, Thanks for the idea. I`ll try to track down the book you recommended. But, in the meantime, do you have any idea how long I would have to keep the newspaper, etc. on the lawn? Also, I believe with this method you then just plant right into the newspaper, etc.</p>
Old 07-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Anonymous

Kerry, That kind of treatment will work if the grass is rye, fescue, or bluegrass. If a few clumps come up later they are easily removed. Best-Dan</p>
Old 09-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Anonymous

I took my lawn out this past spring and have spent the summer replacing it with a xeriscape more or less garden. I had the lawn dug out--a sod cutter would probably be easier--then I bought black gardening cloth as I did not have enough newspapers to cover it all. I planted thru the cloth, water goes thru, light does not. Put a layer of mulch over the cloth. The plants have done well and I have only had to do a minimum of weeding. Now I have a yard full of birds and butterflies!</p>
Old 09-27-2002, 04:03 AM
Anonymous

That`s exactly what I am looking to do. Was the process expensive. I don`t have a huge lawn. Any suggestions for a landscape designer? Not only is this my first house, but, I am new to CA. Looking to get rid of all this water abusing plant life. Thanks</p>
Old 06-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Anonymous

I often see bay trees growing as a large bush with nothing underneath. However, I`ve also seen them as large trees, especially growing in the redwood belt. Ribes and rhamnus should do ok. They are part of that ecology.</p>