CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Anonymous

Default Native plants that will grow on top of bedrock?

Hello !

I'm a begining landscape designer working on a residential job. My goal is to use as many Native Plants as possible when designing. The particular problem with this area is that it is all bedrock with about 6' of soil on top. I'm sure there are native plants that will work for this spot.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, can anyone recommend a good Native California plants identification book?Thanks! Kim Marcellino cactus@betterbrain.com</p>
Old 06-03-2002, 01:54 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Native plants that will grow on top of bedrock?

Kim,

In order to give you the best advice it's important to know what part of the state you are in. Also, it's important to know whether this is a slope, sun or shade, are there any existing plants there, etc.

As far as there being native plants that can grow on a 6' layer of soil, yes there are, but with such a restriction the palette will understandably be limited

Dan </p>
Old 06-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Anonymous

Kim:

Thin soils are often the domain of grasslands-saturated in winter, desiccated in summer. They might be accompanied by bulbs, achillea, sidalcea, sisyrinchium, and even solidago. This would usually occur in full sun. I have also used Dudleyas in some of the more protected spots. But this is a generalization. Where are you located?

Greg</p>
Old 06-07-2002, 07:09 AM
Anonymous

At a previous residence I had a west-facing slope rising from my backyard, it was a cut in a sandstone hill so it had about six inches of top soil, but the slope helped it drain well. I grew ceanothus, heteromeles, salvias, cercis, pinus attenuata, eriogonum giganteum, and acrtostaphylos urva ursi and hookeri wayside successfuly. The cercis and pinus were rather stunted though. In 6' it would probably be more so. On the flat part of the yard, I had about 12' of clay soil over sandstone. I built some beds 12' for my heteromeles hedge, but my native perennials and small shrubs did fine without this measure.</p>