CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 03-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Anonymous

Default eriogonum (sp?)

I am looking for a source of various types of eriogonum. My plan is not only to utilize their ability to provide benficials to my orchard, but because they are beautiful to look at my neighbors think I'm nuts. Anyway, I live in Placer County CA/Penryn and will drive a hundred or so miles for some nice specimens.

Thank-you, Tracy</p>
Old 03-11-2002, 04:55 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: eriogonum (sp?)

I also would like that answer. I am also in Placer County,and have looked all over for eriogonum. One place I found was Napa Nursery which is part of California Conservation Corps, but they dont have any right now. Mostly Natives in Tomales Bay probably has some, but thats pretty far. Makes me want to start my own native nursery :</p>
Old 03-11-2002, 05:36 AM
Anonymous

I've purchased some natives from Western Hills Nursery in Occidental and the nursery you speak of in Tomales. Some of the plants that were established there, such as sticky monkey flowers, did poorly when I planted them in this sweltering foothill climate. I called Cornflower Farms in Elk Grove and was told they would have various types of erigonum by about mid-June. hard to find right now. I may try the Paine Institute in So-cal.

Tracy</p>
Old 03-12-2002, 05:00 AM
Anonymous

Well, I have also tried PlantsTogo.com. They are located in Shingletown, near Mt Lassen. They have mail order and a few hardy natives. I am waiting for an order right now actually. Good Luck on your search. Rene</p>
Old 03-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Anonymous

Sorry you had to get help from the helpless. I figured some died-in-the-wool guru would overload me with resources, as you did as well, I'm sure.</p>
Old 03-13-2002, 05:16 AM
Anonymous

No Problem, I actually didnt think we would get much info for our area as I have been looking for some time. Thus my joke about opening a native nursery in the area. There will be a Native Plant Sale at Sierra College in May, I believe May 4th. And Sierra View Nursery in Loomis will be having an open to the public sale soon I will check on the date. As I find more places I will let you know. Rene</p>
Old 03-13-2002, 05:19 AM
Anonymous

Sierra View Nursery is having their sale May 11 and 12 </p>
Old 03-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Anonymous

Thanks a lot! I mean really, thanks Rene!</p>
Old 03-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Anonymous

I grow a lot of Buckwheat from seed - it's usually very easy and now is a good time to get it going. Though it's also one of the few seeds that muddle through the dark winter months just fine too.

Down here in So. Cal. Sherman Oaks, I grow E. parvifolium Coast Buckwheat, E. crocatum the silvery Conejo Buckwheat, E. grande var. rubescens the pretty Red Buckwheat form the island, and E. elongatum Wand Buckwheat. Most of them are great for bees and butterflies.

E. fasciculatum grows wild up our street, but I haven't been successful growing it from seed - I've read that it gives poor results. I keep trying though.

E. parvifolium was SO prolific I had to extract a few seedlings from around the edge of the seed tray and then throw the flat out - it was too matted with roots! The others fell somewhere in between. I sell the plants at local CNPS meetings, etc.

You might try Tilden Gardens in Berkeley if that's not too far from you. I'd recommend you get really local seed if possible otherwise I'd be happy to send you some.

Trish</p>
Old 03-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Anonymous

Thanks Trish. I'll have to try Tilden Gardens. I did pick up 6- fasiculatum at 'Mostly Natives' in Tomales on the recommendation of Rene-- thanks go to you Rene.

Tracy</p>