CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-21-2015, 11:54 PM
terrestrial_man terrestrial_man is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Maria
Posts: 81
terrestrial_man is on a distinguished road
Default The cake is still GREEN!!

In the latter half of January 2015 I began the process of cleaning up and repotting all surviving plants. I noticed that the cake container, though cloudy looking, still appeared to have live plants inside. Upon opening I was shocked to see that the colony had survived quite well with the Leucobryum glauca becoming preeminent over the formerly dominant leafy liverwort. (see attachment)

Despite the 6 year interval since I had looked inside, this colony of bryophytes had continued to grow and interact and the result of that was that the formerly dominant leafy liverwort species had become a component of the understory of the colony.

Of all the other moss colony experiments that I had undertaken only a few had survived to date. Drying winds, lack of humidity, and excessive shade had taken their tow. Nonetheless I, with the information that I have learned and which I have attempted to acquaint you with, have recovered what I could and have undertaken new experiments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 65 I.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	689.4 KB
ID:	569  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 PM
terrestrial_man terrestrial_man is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Maria
Posts: 81
terrestrial_man is on a distinguished road
Default Chocolates anyone?

Before attempting to grow bryophytes inside of enclosed spaces I discovered the Ferrero Rocher Chocolates 7 oz box, made of clear plastic, was a great container in which to grow the Stachygynandrous species of Selaginella, such as S. denticulata. Not only did these small rectangular boxes provide a place
shielded from the desiccating winds, the boxes allow for using a very thin layer of substrate on which to grow the plants.

With bryophytes substrate was not as important as is the need for adequate humidity besides sufficient light for adequate growth. This gives the opportunity to use the felt system or whatever type of substrate that seems of interest.

In my recent upgrading of my plant bench and repotting, I have made use of
three of these plastic boxes in bryophyte recovery experiments. The one shown in the attached images is on a fairly deep layer of moist river sand.
This container is being kept on the south side of the lower shelf of the bench where it receives some sunlight during midday.

The tiny mosses as seen in the image were just recently placed, as seen, inside the box. They will not be seen again for six months at which time I shall be doing a photographic examination of all my experiments, and will record its progress here, as well.

My hope is that the mosses will spread across the substrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 67 C 1.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 67 B 1.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	571  
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 PM
terrestrial_man terrestrial_man is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Maria
Posts: 81
terrestrial_man is on a distinguished road
Default If at first you arg out!

Alas! My visions of a tiny green carpet covering the sandy substrate of my little plastic box proved to be just that: a vision!!
In checking out my various experiments I discovered that the one that I had posted here had not done as expected. In fact, I was surprised to see that it had survived at all. Apparently the substrate had simply dried out over the three plus months interval.
In so doing whatever growth the moss had made was only in its height. Its spread across the substrate was curtailed by the loss of moisture which affected the clayey substrate the moss was growing on prior to its introduction into the testing box.
As a result I sprayed down the dried out soil and drained off the excess water.
I shall be attending to this test on a monthly or more frequent basis as is deemed necessary. Hopefully the hoped for carpet of green shall become a reality in due time.
Please check out the image below for a comparative portrait of the two samples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR120150220to0605.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	591  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2005-2009, California Native Plant Society, All rights reserved.