CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 03-14-2000, 02:27 AM
Anonymous

Default Backyard Bird Design

Does anybody know of a club that exists in Southern California dedicated to backyard bird design? A club that focuses on designing backyards to attract wildlife? I'm curious because I'm performing some research on the subject and would like to know of some native plants that attract birds.Thanks!</p>
Old 03-15-2000, 02:56 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Backyard Bird Design

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suggest that you get in touch with the local chapter of the California Native Plant Society, with the local Audubon Society chapter, and with the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont http://www.support.net/Medit-Plants/...a.Botanic.html.

Those sources can tell you what species of plants attract the wildlife you want in your garden, or at least point you in the right direction for finding the information you are looking for.</p>
Old 03-24-2000, 09:08 AM
Anonymous

I don't know about a club but the National Wildlife Federation certifies gardens for wildlife and has a very active program. The Santa Clara Chapter of CNPS had info on their webpage about plant species for attracting birds and butterflies. I don't know if it is still there. The Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens has a brochure that lists plant species for attracting birds. Our chapter outreach chair produced information for migratory bird day that includes plants that provide cover and nesting material. Woodpiles can be important too. If you don't find the info you need, I can try copying the display that was put together for San Diego.Cindy</p>
Old 04-05-2000, 05:35 PM
Anonymous

Try http://www.chirp.org/

look for articles about attracting birds at various s. California Audubon Society chapter sites, and alsoon the Las Pilitas Nursery site.</p>
Old 04-14-2000, 10:15 AM
Anonymous

I don't know of any clubs, but we redesigned our backyard with southern calif natives and it has a heavy bird emphasis. The most important ingredient in our hot climate is water, preferably moving and at different levels. You can get more info and a list of our birds athttp://www.cybmotion.com/habitat.html

or email me privately for more info.

Trish</p>
Old 01-19-2001, 03:55 AM
Anonymous

Unfortunatley there is very little published on this area. In order to maximize the backyard habitat for bird life or any form of wildlife, there needs to be more than just native plants. I have done a 5 year project to convert my yard into both a native plant garden and a haven for wildlife. The keys are that birds need more than just nectar and seeds. They also eat a variety of native insects. The plants that you select should include a wide variety of species, and you should also collect native insects to your area and introduce them to your yard. It is important to supply rotting wood, areas of moist soil, dry soil, grasses, trees, shade etc. to maximize the number and types of habitats and thus the suitability of your yard to the largest number of bird and animal species.</p>
Old 06-10-2001, 02:05 PM
Anonymous

The Del Mar Fair is going to have a display called 'Your Backyard Nature Preserve: A Refuge for You and Other ''Wildlife,'. The fair opens in the next week and closes on July 4th.

We certified our garden as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat. www.nwf.org/habitats It costs $15.oo to join and you receive a quarterly Habitats newsletter.

Our family have greatly enjoyed this adventure of gardening for our little friends. Good Luck!</p>
Old 06-10-2001, 02:06 PM
Anonymous

The Del Mar Fair is going to have a display called 'Your Backyard Nature Preserve: A Refuge for You and Other ''Wildlife,'. The fair opens in the next week and closes on July 4th.

We certified our garden as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat. www.nwf.org/habitats It costs $15.oo to join and you receive a quarterly Habitats newsletter.

Our family have greatly enjoyed this adventure of gardening for our little friends. Good Luck!</p>