CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Forum Member

gsuba is on a distinguished road
Default Conservation "Road Show" - timing and location thread

This thread continues our discussion about the timing and locations of Regional Conservation Meetings that we began during our September CNPS Chapter Council meeting in San Diego. I've attached the map showing the 5 proposed meeting regions. Any suggestions for meeting locations per region?

I'll get the "CNPS Chapter Conservation Toolkit" powerpoint slides I presented in San Diego up on the website soon. Remember that the new Conservation Toolkit webpage will be available on November 13th.

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cnps road show.pdf (160.3 KB, 2084 views)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 AM
East Bay Chapter

Peter is on a distinguished road
Default Reg.Cons.Meeting Locations ?

Greg, all,

Are "regional" meetings intended to reflect biological regions or affordable/convenient-to-travel-to regions ? (I didn't attend the Sept CC meeting, so I missed whatever description / proposal was presented about the purpose of holding meetings regionally.)

If the former, then I wonder if the locations of meetings can be determined in such a way as to maximize the likelihood of attendance by the largest number of interested members, AND to minimize the (total cost) overhead of attending by those members ?

I realize that "local" (regional?) field trips are often organized as an "extra" to such meetings, but money (both personal and CNPS-organizational) is tight (always, not just now during this latest economic crisis) and it is perhaps wiser to work on ways to increase attendance of valued volunteers by keeping costs of participation down.

It may be argued that by holding "regional" meetings, then each region's resident conservationist volunteers get an opportunity to occasionally reduce their own costs of attending. Perhaps so; but at what overall cost to all attendees ?

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuba View Post
This thread continues our discussion about the timing and locations of Regional Conservation Meetings that we began during our September CNPS Chapter Council meeting in San Diego. I've attached the map showing the 5 proposed meeting regions. Any suggestions for meeting locations per region?
Greg
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Forum Member

F_Landis is on a distinguished road

Hi Greg,

Couple of questions:
1. Do you have a better idea of what themes need to be discussed for the various regions? That information would be helpful for the location question, because it will help people determine whether or not they want to show up.

(I'd suggest that anyone who wasn't at the September CC needs to email Greg with the most pressing conservation problems their chapter is dealing with, so that he gets an accurate representation).

2. As for location, I suggest areas that are readily accessible. Rancho Santa Ana is one possible venue for a desert meeting, and it's also a repository of desert knowledge that might be useful. It also works for the south coast meeting venue for the same reason.

Less formally, you could look for a venue where interstates cross. For example, the desert group could meet near where the 10 and 15 cross, the northern group could meet near Chino, and so on.

Best,

Frank