CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 08-23-2001, 01:24 AM
Anonymous

Default Sowing California Poppy Seeds

Hello All!

Just behind the frontage road on my property, I'vegot a strip of land measureing 500' long and 4' deep. This is where I'd like to broadcast the seeds. I know enough not to scatter seed by hand,but that is the extent of my knowledge. The 16 oz.bag says to use 1 oz. for every 125 sq.ft.

I've got a Scotts 'Handy Green II' that I've usedfor my fertilizers; it has settings from #1 smallestto #5 largest.

My questions are: what medium should I use to mixwith the seeds? Contractor's sand? Dirt? Secondly,which # should I use on the spreader?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain </p>
Old 08-28-2001, 04:17 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Sowing California Poppy Seeds

Alain,First things first. How close to the wild populations of native poppies are you? Not sure? Contact the local CNPS chapter to find out and while you are at it find out what species of poppy is local If any. Why? Chances are the seed you have purchased is E. californica. I don't know where you live but you would not wish that plant to hybridize with, and very possibly contaminate nearby natural populations. There are well over twenty species and sub-species around the state each with their own genetics, stature/structure, color, and abilities to live in particular areas. They are special. E. californica is swamping many of these nearby populations since it is consistantly sold by seed companies.If you discover that their are nearby populations to protect then I would post on this board what species you would like to have, and someone will be able to refer you to a seed collector/company that can help.

Now lets say you have no problem with nearby wild populations. And you wish to use the seed you have-fine. I mix it about an 10 to 1 ratio with sand and hand broad-cast it. Thats 10 parts sand to 1 part seed. I like to hand bradcast because its easier for me to keep the seed a little more concentrated down the center strip and because its more enjoyable. Don't need them along the edge so much. Scooping and flinging the medium around does the job quite nicely. I would recommend that the area be prepared and weed free of course. Also I would encourage even watering and an alert eye for the weeds that will pop up.The rest is easy. Sit back and enjoy the spring time bloom.Dan</p>
Old 09-01-2001, 09:36 AM
Anonymous

There is a web page with tips on successful sowing of California wildflowers athttp://www.ecoseeds.com/wildflower.planting.html</p>
Old 09-07-2001, 11:04 AM
Anonymous

Hi Dan & Craig,

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

Dan, we live in Valley Center Sunset #19 NorthernSan Diego County. There are 'california poppies' already on the property, Not many but there are some. They are smaller in diameter and much more of a'yellow/orange' than bright orange. I'd like tosave them and propagate them if they are the 'realMcCoys'.

When I first madethe post, I had just returned from Grangetto's andpicked up a 1 lb bag of 'Eschscholzia californica'.If the photo on the bag is a true representationof the seed/flower, the poppies in my grove aredifferent.

Many thanks for all the help!

Alain
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Forum Member

Frank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I don't know where you live but you would not wish that plant to hybridize with, and very possibly contaminate nearby natural populations. There are well over twenty species and sub-species around the state each with their own genetics, stature/structure, color, and abilities to live in particular areas. They are special. E. californica is swamping many of these nearby populations since it is consistantly sold by seed companies.
I've got three different color poppies on my property and want to find out which is truly native before collecting and spreading the seed around for next year. One is a deep brilliant orange, one is brilliant orange but fades to yellow at the edges of the petals, the third has petals of solid pale yellow.

I live in Lake Hughes, which is north Los Angeles County, west of Lancaster and north of Santa Clarita Valley.