CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 01-30-2000, 02:24 AM
Anonymous

Default How and when to plant wildflower seeds?

I live in the central valley. I would like to have a wildflower display in part of my yard that used to be grass. What is the best way to plant the seed mostly poppies and when?

Thank you, Greg</p>
Old 01-30-2000, 12:24 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: How and when to plant wildflower seeds?

Seeds are tough. The best advise I can offer is check up with Larner Seeds in Bolinas. P. O. Box 407, Bolinas, CA 94924. 415-868-9407. They have the best catalogue for Northern CA seeds, although they are definitely coastal, not valley. They have some good literature about growing from seed, but I haven't had too much success. Definitely trial and error is the way to go. Some plants are easy, others are impossible.</p>
Old 02-03-2000, 09:35 AM
Anonymous

It has been a pretty mild winter thus far. I believe you can still plant wildflower seeds at this time of year as long as the ground is not too cold or too wet to work. If you have a lot of non-native grasses and weeds in your planting area, you might want to wait until next Fall to begin planting wildflower seeds. That way you can remove most of the non-native grasses and weeds before-hand at least for the first year, since they will overwhelm the wildflower plantings very quickly. Once you plant your wildflower seeds, you should consider mulching with a weed-free mulch. I would definitely check out Larner Seeds in Bolinas. In addition, I recommend reading Judith Larner Lowry's book, 'Gardening with a Wild Heart', UCPress, 1999.</p>
Old 02-04-2000, 02:49 AM
Anonymous

Greg,

The best time to sow wildflower seeds is typically in the fall just before the winter rains. Wildflowers are easy if in a favorable site. The hard part is keeping the weeds and non-native grasses out. Seeds may be sown throughout the winter and early spring if rains follow. Clear the area of all grass and weeds. If you haven't done this, you will be starting over next year. Sow wildflower seeds and lightly rake in. They do not require much cover and may not germinate with too much. Please buy seeds which come from a company which specializes in California natives - many of the commercial mixes i.e. from large chain stores contain seed from outside of California. You can also get mixes which are specific to the Central Valley. Most seed packets also come with directions. I would also suggest investigating California native grasses. Some bunch or perennial grasses mixed with wildflowers can take on a very attractive meadow-like appearance. Good luck!</p>