CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Anonymous

Default Blue Curl in Central California

Date: 10/29/01
Time: 12:09 PM

I have property located west of Coalinga, on the edge of the Diablo Mountain Range. Withing the past three years I have noticed an plant that is becoming more invasive. It releases a very strong stiffeling sweet odor when disturbed. Cattle will not eat it and I think it is choaking out other varieties of grasses. The only name I have is "Blue Crul." I would like to learn more about this plant. Thank you
Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Anonymous

Date: 11/05/01
Time: 01:02 PM

John - I believe the plant you are referfing to is Trichostema lanceolatum - Vinegar Weed. Blue Curls is the generic name for the genus Trichostema. It is in the Lamiaceae (Mint) family. It prefers dry, disturbed habitats and spread readily. You can check with your local CDF station or try burning a small plot by yourself. Burning stimulates native grasses and other forbes which will in time out compete the vinegar weed. you could also do some rest rotation if you are grazing these areas in conjunction with burning. If you would like more info write me at home and give me more information about where you live and I will see what I can do. Ben