CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Anonymous

Default Revegitation with Native Grasses

Date: 04/23/00
Time: 04:30 PM

Hi,

I am a landscape architecture student who is investigating the restoration of native grasses to Southern California wilderness areas. Can you recommend a resource that outlines the procedures doing this?

Thanks

Todd Jennings Claremont, CA hegemony@earthlink.net
Old 06-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Anonymous

Date: 04/29/00
Time: 11:08 AM

Todd,

I don't think such a resource exists. If it does, I would be interested in knowing about it! The Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve does a lot of active management/restoration of native grassland. I know they do a lot of spring burning.

Hope this is helpful...Ian
Old 06-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Anonymous

Date: 08/04/00
Time: 04:34 PM

Easy. First the site has to be a grassland site (usually fairly deep loam or silt-clay loam to clay soils) in a grassland climate. Marginal soils can be "improved," but it's expensive--avoid nursery industry products. Find a comparable site and (legally) collect propagules, preferably seed, from indigenous species. Note the site conditions which appear to be ideal for each species. Plant mycorrhizal plants in some places (non-mycorrhizal ones in others and seed with and without inoculum in others (each some distance away from each other). See what happens in one year and use the most effective method to complete the project. Avoid growing plants in highly porous mix as they will dry out prematurely. Plant when soil is moist, firmly plant plants and cover seed with <1 cm soil. Water only once. If you "have" to irrigate, you're doing something wrong. Do not disturb--especially avoid weed control or any form of soil disturbance except individual (zero drift) herbicide treatment of highly invasive perennial (and some annual) weed species. Do not "control" gophers and other wildlife. Combination planting with other species may be necessary on highly weedy sites. Bio-degradable shade (<50%), such as sticks, may help minimize initial transpiration losses.

Best, WT
Old 06-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Anonymous

Date: 08/01/01
Time: 09:56 AM

Try: www.cnga.org, the California Native Grass Association