CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Plant Conservation Issues

Old 06-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Anonymous

Default Calochortus salvage

Date: 03/30/00
Time: 08:18 AM

Can anyone help?

A project on the coastal bluff is being developed. Mitigation includes salvaging and then replanting Plummer's calochortus when grading and construction is completed.

Does anyone have knowledge of successful salvage?
Anonymous

Time: 08:20 AM

I don't know much about this particular Calochortus. You should send the original message to Roxanne Bittman and Diana Hickson at DFG Sacramento (emails may be on inside back cover of CNPS directory), not to mention our own Botanist, Dave Tibor.

I have heard of a case where a Fritillaria's main pollinator was a beetle. This beetle lived in underground burrows, so tearing up or compressing the ground did in the pollinator. Bad news for longtime survival of the Fritillaria population.

So, considerations for this project would include knowledge of pollinators, providing suitable habitat for them, etc. Then you have to know how deep to plant the Calochortus. As we know from studies by Kat Anderson and others, some native geophytes actually benefit from ground disturbance, being dug up and redistributed. Again, I know very little about this particular species. Does it form bulblets? This is one indicator for species that benefit from ground disturbance.

Also, Jo has provided no details - is there a plan to dig up some number of acres of Calochortus bulbs? Do "they" know how deep to dig? Surely they are not planning to dig them up now! Timing is another issue. We all know that most bulbs are planted in the fall. The natives dug their bulb fields in summer or fall, but not in spring that I ever read of.

Feel free to pass my comments on. I am hoping that Dave T. or others will know of a Calochortus ecologist who can help. Why not ask Kat Anderson herself? Why not ask some horticulturists like the Robinetts? (I'll get their email from Bob & Mary Sue if necessary). Then, too, just look for the Calochortus Society on the Web, and maybe some useful contact people will emerge.

...Lori
Anonymous

Date: 03/23/01
Time: 11:35 PM

good morning; i am very interested in buying C. bulbs....can you maybe point me in the right direction?? thank you very much!!

wilja happe brand carpinteria,ca.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Anonymous

Time: 08:34 AM

Hi Jo,

This will probably serve to illustrate some of the folly of transplanting as a mitigation tool, but I thought that I would pass on my observations of a Fritillaria eastwoodiae salvage.

A few days before construction, a project was informed that they would have to mitigate for Fritillaria eastwoodiae. Since it was a linear disturbance, a decision was made to transplant the bulbs (then getting ready to bloom) to a safe location nearby. A crew of labors and a couple of botanists were charged with the task of moving an estimated 1200 plants.

The bulbs were transplanted by moving entire shovels of soil containing the bulbs from one location to another. In subsequent monitoring seasons, nearly 2/3 of the transplants died. This was due to several factors including in appropriate site selection (too sunny in the middle of the day), planting the bulbs to shallowly, and failing to mulch the transplants to protect them from extremes.

On the other hand, after five years, the number of plants including non-flowering juveniles was higher than the original number of transplants due to stimulating growth of the rice-grain bulblets.

Was this effort a success? Well that depends on your perspective... most of the 1200 plants originally transplanted would have surely been lost if no salvage was conducted... a large number were lost anyway, but the effort also stimulated recruitment which may not have otherwise occurred which partially offsets the loss.

My main point is that the more you know about the individual species and its responses to heat/shade, bulb depth, soil compaction, dry storage, etc. the higher chance you have of successfully salvaging the plants. The ideal situation though is to figure out how to avoid the impacts in the first place.

Cheers, Carol
Anonymous

Date: 04/03/00
Time: 04:35 PM

I successfully salvaged bulbs of Calochortus obispoensis from a pipeline corridor. The bulbs were dug up during flowering, transplanted into containers of native soil, and about 90% survived for two years in the containers before transplanting back to the site. At my last visit the plants had come back and were flowering again. Survival appeared to be good, although I didn't quantify this.
Anonymous

Date: 08/04/00
Time: 04:44 PM

Jo:

I don't think any restoration of anything should be accepted on the basis of a promise, particularly when there's no solid evidence to back it up. Sure, when your back's to the wall and it's either salvage or lose, by all means do it. But as long as the permitting agencies accept this sort of thing, second-rate work is being promoted. Any ideas about how to ensure that "mitigation" is effective BEFORE approval?

Best, WT