CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Great Wildflower Spots

Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Anonymous

Default Twin Peaks - San Francisco

Date: 04/02/03
Time: 04:58 PM

Found some very nice and interesting flowers, not sure what they are though, maybe a type of Brodiaea? Anyway, they were in gorgeous vivid colors (bright orange, bright pink, rich red) in just one spot and here's how to find them. Go up Twin Peaks Blvd from Market/Portola. When you get to that spot where the tour busses vere right to go to the vista point, don't go there, make a hard left, and start to go back down. At the first parking area on the right, park and get out. Follow the trail on the other side of the railing, heading towards the bay. You'll come to a bluff, and they are there in 3 patches. If someone who knows more about flower id than I do (which would be just about anyone) could you tell me what those flowers are? Lot's of other nice flowers, everywhere, in particular directly below where the cars are parked for the view. Have fun and if you go bring a paper bag to pick up the trash that the trashy people have thrown out - this city used to be so clean! :( Gail
Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Anonymous

Date: 04/10/03
Time: 12:55 PM

Gail, I asked Jake Sigg, who used to work for the city, really knows plants in SF open spaces, and did some sleuthing for you. Here's the reply: We think the flower is Ixia, a south african corm. The species is perhap a hybrid of Ixia maculata.