CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Great Wildflower Spots

Old 06-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Anonymous

Default Jepson Prairie, Solano County, March-April

Date: 03/07/00
Time: 03:24 PM

Jepson Prairie Preserve Weekend Tours Begin March 11

Public tours of Jepson Prairie Preserve will begin on Saturday, March 11. Recent rains and warming temperatures have filled the vernal pools and encouraged rapid growth of the spring flowers.

Volunteer docents will lead an easy walking tour beginning at 11 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday through May 14, highlighting the features of the unplowed grasslands and the vernal pools. This landscape, widespread in the Central Valley before European settlement, is now increasingly rare. It has plants which survive winter flooding to creates masses of color in spring and unique aquatic creatures which use the temporary pools as a refuge from predatory fish.

Jepson Prairie Preserve is owned and managed by the Solano County Farmlands and Open Space Foundation, a non-profit land trust formed in 1986. As part of a campaign to create an endowment to maintain and enhance the Preserve, a donation of $1 or more per adult tour participant is requested.

Groups of 5 or more should make reservations for tours by leaving a message with telephone number for reply at (707)421-1351. A short self-guided nature trail is available for visitors during daylight hours; all other areas of the Preserve are closed except for guided tours. Waterproof shoes or boots are recommended, and visitors may wish to bring drinking water.

To reach Jepson Prairie Preserve, take Highway 113 South from I-80. Twelve miles south of Dixon, where 113 turns east at an overhead warning light, go straight onto the gravel road, Cook Lane, cross the railroad tracks, and continue to the parking area near the eucalyptus trees.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Anonymous

Date: 04/04/00
Time: 01:08 PM

The Jepson Prairie docents will be holding their annual field day on April 16th. This is a big event! They will be offering tours of various lengths from 10 am to 2 pm. Most tours will be for about an hour, but at least one of the 10 am tours will be two hours long.

In addition to docent led tours, there will be a variety of displays to view, including one of live vernal pool fairy shrimp and vernal pool tadpole shrimp. T-shirts, handbooks, buttons and other items will also be for sale.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Anonymous

From: Bill Pierson, Sierra Club, Delta Group: wpierson99@aol.com
Date: 09/18/01
Time: 03:28 PM

I am planning my 3rd annual Sierra Club educational outing to Jepson Prairie Preserve. The date I have down will be on Saturday, April 5th, 2002 at 10:30. We will carpool from Antioch. If possible I would like to reserve your excelent docents again for that day. The participants were especially enamored with the display of the different variety of fairy shrimp that was scooped out. I will put down $5.00 as the suggested donation and will try to limit the number of participants to 20 people by requesting reservations in the Sierra Club activity guide. My e-mail is wpierson99@aol.com.