CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2004, 11:34 AM
bvnpc

Default Native picture source by color?

While driving on North Lake Wohlford [Esc/Valley Center area] I turned my head to notice a few, small purple stems blowing in the breeze on a hill. My wife loves the color purple, so I am always on the lookout for natives of that color!

It is in the burn area, just across the road from the lake on the east side. I couldn't stop and it is private property. I was wondering if anyone can take a guess as to what it was I was seeing!?

It must have been 24" tall and a very bright purple flower. It wasn't any type of ceanothus, of that I'm sure. Is there a resource that I might refer to that offers a color photo/drawing of some of our native plant materials?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...15 miles south of Palomar Mtn
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 PM
carrollboone

Alain,

Some purple-flowering plants that come to mind are lupine, blue dicks, delphinium, vetch, & an assortment of sages.

There are on-line sources with pictures of CA native plants, though I don't remember any that you could sort by flower color. Our 20+ year-old copy of "A Field Guide to Pacific States Wildflowers" in the R.T. Peterson series is divided by flower color & I'd assume newer versions are as well.

Good luck tracking down the plant!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Anonymous

Default Purple flowers post-burn

Phacelias are doing quite well in the burn areas right now. I have seen Phacelia parryi and Phacelia grandiflora in other burn areas. Can you describe the flower a bit more?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
bvnpc

Default Native picture source by color?

Hi Cindy,

I know you don't smoke, but you win the proverbial cigar!

The Phacelia is indeed the flower that I have seen on Lake Wohlford Road. Many, many thanks for your post and assistance!

Alain...Valley Center
Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 PM
bvnpc

Hello Again,

I meant to ask: any idea where I might purchase either the seeds for or a one gallon can with, a Phacelia in it? Las Pilitas' website [in Escondido] does not have it listed.

Merci encore!

Alain
Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Anonymous

Default Source for Phacelia

I was up at Tree of Life Nursery earlier in the year and picked up a seed mix with Phacelia parryi. They also had some 4" pots with small annual plants that I picked up in case the seed didn't germinate. I got beautiful Phacelias both ways and with the seed mix I got a variety with goldfields and Phacelia parryi first and now Chinese houses and Clarkia. It may be too late to try germinating now....I wouldn't know that kind of thing but I bet the staff at TofL would. I don't recall ever having seen Phacelia grandiflora for sale anywhere. I got red painful welts from walking through Phacelia grandiflora in shorts in a burn area once so be warned.
Cindy
Old 05-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Anonymous

Default Picture Book

Hi Alain,

There are two picture books I like for San Diego although both are limited in the number of plants they depict. The Flowering Plants of the Santa Monica Mountains is an old standby for me. It is published by CNPS and most everything in it occurs here too although many more things occur than are in the book. There is a fairly new book out called San Diego County Native Plants by James Lightner. It is published by San Diego Flora. I haven't found a fire follower book although I think a pamphlet would be an excellent project. Hopefully you will get to see Dicentra chrysantha (Golden eardrops), Papaver californicum (Fire poppy) and Phacelia grandiflora in your area.
Cindy
Old 05-22-2004, 07:34 PM
ireneh

Default Phacelia grandiflora

Hi Alain:

I know S&S seeds carries Phacelia grandiflora seed, and you might check their retail outlet through Allbright seed co. Too bad I don't have any left - I would have been happy to give you some. It is really impressive!