CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 06-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Anonymous

Default Concha Ceanothuis and Gophers and my patience!

Hello All! This past winter sure has been a blessing for Sunset # 19! I`ve babied that Concha and it is so green right now. But, a formidable looms on that hill!! Yes, that dreaded gopher is back!! It is within 1 foot of my Concha. As of today, I am no longer a Findhorn devote`, when it comes to that gopher! I will not sacrafice another native to that varmint. I am going to get a Gopher Getter Jr and send that mammal to 'the light'. Any suggestions on clearing my area of gophers will be most gratefully received. Sheriff Alain</p>
Old 06-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Concha Ceanothuis and Gophers and my patience!

I have been using blackhole traps with much success. I have caught 60 gophers in the last 24 months on my 1/2 acre lot in Escondido, and have pretty well rid myself and my neighbors! of all gophers. I usually set 2 in the main run in opposite directions, burying everything except the small hole in the end of the trap. They rush towards the 'light' to plug the breech and get snared instantly. Hope this helps.</p>
Old 06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Concha Ceanothuis and Gophers and my patience!

P.S. - I was probably the one Dave referred to about drip adding to the problem. It does - 'X' marks the spot! Gophers seem to have an affinity for moister soil, and the wet spot from your dripper is the perfect homing device. Besides, you shouldn`t be using drip on xeric natives anyway. Bad ecology swamp makes for short lived, blown out plants in most cases. Rainfall is much more diffuse and even, which is what a mycorrhizal grid is looking for.</p>