CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 04-08-2003, 06:49 AM
Anonymous

Default Elderberry infestations

At the park across the street from my house in Oakland, something has been eating the leaves of our small Mexican Blue Elderberry trees. Whatever it is, is not leaving much, possibly killing the trees. I have taken some shoots from these trees to propagate them in pots. One of my little trees to was totally eaten over the weekend. The rest are doing well. What is this thing eating our trees? What can be done?</p>
Old 04-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Elderberry infestations

Re: Elderberry predation It would help if you could identify the culprit. Go out an night with a flashlight and a jar. You might be able to knock the offending munchers into the jar for later identification. Samples of damaged plants and critter specimens, if possible, should be taken to a plant pathologist. Your local county UC Extension service or Master Gardeners should be able to help. Isn`t Dr. Robert Raabe in the East Bay somewhere? Treatment depends on identification of the problem. Good luck, Lori Hubbart</p>
Old 04-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Anonymous

Lauri`s comments are right on the mark. Perhaps the predator has moved on by now often such sudden and complete consumption is done by migratory insects, let us hope that is the case here. If so I would not worry overmuch about Elderberry. They have a great store of energy and should be resprouting as you read this-think positive! If the insect is still around, you will find them and after ID should be able to deal with it. Let us know what happens. Best-Dan.</p>
Old 04-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Anonymous

Dan - I`m seeing the same thing, but when I go to identify the culprit, it`s gone. Seems to be some form of sucking insect, and leaves are wilting and curling as if attacked by aphids. Do you know of any migratory sucking insects? Its really weird as I haven`t been able to ID it! I agree that the eldeberry will probably recover, but it sure is ugly right now. Greg.</p>
Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Anonymous

Wow. At least you are seeing leaves! My superpredator ate all of the leaves on a bushy 6` high tree, leaving only the vains. Would pruning back what`s left be a good idea? Should I just leave it alone? Joe</p>
Old 04-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Anonymous

Replying to Greg: So its not that the leaves are consumed and vanish as much as they are infected by the proboscus and the leaves then curl and die? That sounds like what was happening to Oleander and Grapes with the 'Sharp Shooter' a form of leaf hopper. It should not be related but the activy seems similar. In short it sounds like an insect could be a vector for disease. Interesting. It the insects were to be found it would most likely be on foliage that is looking healthy, not that which is already curling and dry. If its the leafhopper it is sometime difficult to spot since it moves away from sight rather cleverly roating itself around the branch as you twist the branch and leaves to look. Not like scale or other semi-immobile insects. My books have nothing on Elderberry predation or disease which is not surprising since it isn`t valuable timber or of great economic value in the eyes of forestry and agriculture folks. I would be very curious as to what this thing is. Let me know if you find out anything! Best-Dan</p>
Old 06-11-2003, 03:41 AM
Anonymous

I`ve just found a culprit for eldeberry damage here in Pennsylvania. Symptoms: yellowing leaves, wilt of non-woody shoots. Found a 1' larva white with black spots upon disection of one of the shoots. Is this a common critter? Any advice would be great. </p>