CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 09-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Anonymous

Default Need Advice, slope cover in mountains

Valerie, I`m a little late in replying but I wonder if your foxtail is the native grass Elymus multisetus, Big Squirreltail sitanion histrix when it dries out the hairs open way up & it`s not as pretty as this picture: http://www.edgehill.net/2001-05-15-t...s/P5154212.htm Ranchers consider it a weed & the seeds will get in your socks but it is native. I`m in Northern CA so I`m not so familiar with what it might be, perhaps the noxious weed Setaria faberi: http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_...3303+3352+0047 ------------------------------ Need Advice, slope cover in mountains From: Valerie dvcribbs@earthlink.net Date: 06/15/02 Time: 02:36 PM Comments We are in the process of aquiring a home in the San Bernardino National Forest. The property is at around 6000 feet. I`d love some suggetions on what to use for ground cover on my slopy lot. There are pinkbract manzanita growing there now but lots of areas in between I would like to stabilize with land cover. There is some golden yarrow there already but also some of that awful foxtail? grass. I`d like to pull the foxtail out but am afraid that if the other stuff doesn`t grow in fast I`ll start getting erosion without something there. What would be the best thing for me to do? Also, does anyone know where I can buy natives for my area? Thanks a bunch. I`m pretty new to all this. I gardened back east and not natives so I`ll be needing lots of advice. </p>