PDA

View Full Version : Coreopsis Gigantea Fertilizer?

Joe Wood
11-17-2006, 01:30 PM
So, my coreopsis are just starting to show life again this season. I've never really fertilized them before, but would like to use something this year.

Any suggestions?? How about a little Grow Power? I'd like to emphasize the bloom if I could, although they really don't need much help there!

I brought back some seeds from one of the Channel Islands around 1972 and have been growing them ever since!

Thanks for your info
Joe Wood
www.woodsshop.com

Joe Wood
11-18-2006, 07:00 PM
So how about it? Rainy season is almost here ..

the bed they're growing in, well, the soil must be getting pretty depleted by now.

Joe Wood
11-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Let's see if I can attach some pics .

this is last year, with some Calif. poppies. I only show one coreopsis though, one of my Old Ones.

Joe Wood
11-18-2006, 07:11 PM
That worked!

Second pic, that's one of my floss silk in the background.

OK, hope we have a good Rain Year!

Dan
12-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Joe,
If you are still looking at the discussion board every now and then, here is my opinion...A bit of grow-power in the confined space you have this guy growing in would not really hurt although i would not expect miracles, Nor does it look like you need any-these plants are in pretty good shape! Look at where you find them growing and the soils are fairly lean though well draining. I would attempt to improve soil drainage (addition of decomosed granite or pea gravel), that could help if worked into the edges, but these are small areas. i think they are doing pretty well for such confined spaces.
Remember if you did pump these up with fertilizers and produced alot of top growth that would really not be what you wanted anyway, since you would end up with an even more top heavy critter than you have. Lightly aerateing the surface, adding a layer of mulch (again perhaps DG would serve here), and keeping the moisture level fairly consistant during the winter months might help. Of course you may already be doing this...
Best-Dan