PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Lavatera assurgentiflora size

Anonymous
10-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I planted this Lavatera in the spring and it quickly shot up to its present size of 5' high by 5' in diameter. I would like to keep it at this size, if possible. Will it take this kind of aggressive pruning? What is the best time of year to prune?

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include (std.disclaimer)

bvnpc
10-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi Nathan,

If you scroll down [the main subject list] you can see Greg Rubin's reply to my request for help. He is very knowledgable.

Secondly, I have another Lavatera which I really pruned heavily [about 3' above ground level] early in 2003; the pruned area produced many, many small leaves. It almost looks like a geranium with all the leaves! The remainder of the 10' plant is doing very well. I don't mind the extra bulk of leaves, but my wife does not care for it! So keep that in mind[!]

I don't know what was responsible for the magnitude of the leaf production; was it the ammount of pruning I did, or was it the time of year? Recently because of our home being painted, I pruned from 8' on up to the top of the Lavatera last month enough to permoit the painters to do their job.

All The Best!

Alain