PDA

View Full Version : What's killing my Toyon?

Kyler Hamann
09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
My 10 year old Toyon tree is dying. The leaves are infested with tiny black specks. I tried spraying last winter with horticultural oil, but it hasn't helped. The Toyon just a few feet away is doing fine, with healthy leaves and green berries. Can anyone help?

Anonymous
09-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Perhaps it has rust or some other fungal infection? Are you using over head watering? Perhaps its getting to much water?
-Nate

Anonymous
09-02-2004, 11:52 AM
It's definitely not rust, and the plant is given very little water. I water once a month during the summer, never at other times. I suspect it's an insect of some kind, that doesn't move. When I go on my yearly trek to Theodore Payne I'll take a branch and see if someone there can't identify it.

The same condition exists nearby on a pyracantha and 2 India hawthorns, but not to the same degree.

ireneh
09-08-2004, 06:38 PM
You are definitely describing rose blight or black spot, which is a fungal infection that affects members of the rose family (as are all the plants you listed). Usually it is a sign of high humidity or too much soil fertility. Spores are moved by splashing water, which could also come from fog drip. It is difficult to control, unfortunately. I would thin it out to increase air circulation (throw away cuttings and bleach pruners) and hope for the best.

Anonymous
10-04-2004, 10:44 PM
It is probably a fungus called 'black spot.' It is usually more of a nuisance than harmful. I had it on one of three Toyon shrubs in Fresno.

Incidently, the one shrub that had the problem was the only one of the three that was blasted by the dust from the neighbour's leafblower. In the neighbourhood here in Sacramento I've noticed plants that are frequently covered with dust from leafblowers appear to have these problems more frequently than the shrubs that aren't in the path of the leafblower dust.