PDA

View Full Version : example of red fescue "lawn"

Anonymous
08-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I want to plant a native bunchgrass lawn substitute, but need to convince my husband that it's OK first. Does anyone know where he can see an expanse of red fescue growing so that he knows it can look neat enough to be a lawn substitute?

We live in Martinez where it's hot, but the lawn area is in partial shade, partly under a nectarine tree. Has anyone grown a lawn like this?

mikefox
08-22-2004, 11:19 AM
I can't help you out specifically. I just wanted to let you know that of all native grasses, I think red fescue would show the most promise as a lawn substitute.

I use it as a ground cover in my Benicia yard, under partial shade. It volunteers freely, the green blades are thin and soft, and it can be cut fairly low. I cut it to the ground every winter.

A year or two back, Sunset magazine had pictures a "lawn" using native grasses. As I rembered, it didn't look much like a lawn. I don't remember if it included red fescue.

Earl
08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your help! I will research Sunset for pictures, but maybe your answer will be enough.

Earl
08-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I have been searching for an example of a good native grass lawn substitute. I found a beautiful example in the Orinda Woods development right off the Hwy. 24 Orinda Village exit. There are large green expanses of Festuca rubra throughout, some mowed, some not.