PDA

View Full Version : Fast growing groundcover for San Jose?

cgscott
06-24-2004, 12:26 AM
I am looking for suggestions for fast growing groundcover for the San Jose area. Locally native species would be ideal. The soil is clay, with a very slight slope, in full sun.

mikefox
06-27-2004, 10:54 PM
It depends on how you will use the groundcover. Does it need to accommodate occasional foot traffic? Consider Iris douglasiana (Douglas Iris), or Juniperius communis saxatilus (Dwarf Mountain Juniper). These look good all year round too. Plants that are bushier, less accommodating for foot traffic include Baccharis pilularis (dwarf Coyote Bush), Ceanothus gloriosus porrectus, Galvezia speciosa (Island Bush-snapdragon) Monardella villosa (Coyote Mint). Epilobium canum augustifolia, California Fuchsia, is pretty vigorous, but does not look good in the winter when it should be cut back to the ground. I have grown most of these in Benicia in the conditions you describe. Some of these aren't native to Santa Clara County, check the Cal Flora website to see which ones are native to Santa Clara County.

Anonymous
07-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. No foot traffic is expected.

Prostrate Coyote Brush has worked well, as has California Fuchsia. Plugs of Foothill Sedge (Carex tumulicola) have also done well.

Is Coyote Mint fast growing? I haven't had good luck with Doug Iris in the sun in San Jose -- it seems to want part shade.