PDA

View Full Version : oak moths

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Date: 10/29/02
Time: 03:05 PM

Oak moth outbreak in South Santa Cruz County. I am seeing the highest density of moths in at least 20 years. Is this going on in other areas? What can we expect from larvae next year?

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Date: 10/30/02
Time: 05:24 PM

Sandra - I lived on the Peninsula for a long time, and I've seen some pretty heavy oak moth infestations. The oak moths are also very heavy down in San Luis Obispo County. I don't think they usually have two boom years in a row, so next year, their occurrence may be lighter. That said, much depends on the weather - lots of rain and/or freezes will keep their numbers down. Yes, I can recall outdoor parties under live oaks with hundreds of oak moth larvae dangling from the trees, being blown about by the breeze, landing in people's drinks and hair. We could actually hear them munching on our oak trees. ...Lori Hubbart

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Date: 11/13/02
Time: 01:54 AM

Yes, I've seen them also. 15 years ago, we had them thick in our area, and we sprayed a wettable B.T. once on the trees, and the levels have been low ever since. The trees do not have to be completely sprayed, just get the B.T. on them, and then the trees are good for the next 20 years. Otherwise, they can strip the trees pretty severely, and the trees suffer in drought years, and might get weakened so they die easier from S.O.D.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Date: 12/11/02
Time: 11:20 AM

This year is the worst oak moth infestation we have seen in 15 years . We have seen two infestations so far this year with this second time being the worst I have ever seen. We sprayed 15 years ago with BT (a bacillius) and it held the population down.(Some folks recommend the hiring of professionals to do the spraying.) The last 15 years has seen small populations of oak moths. We normally do not spray and just let nature take its course. This year is an exception. If you spray, learn about BT first. As with all sprays, there are both pros and cons. Spraying should occur when the catepillars are actively feeding. Good luck.