PDA

View Full Version : Definition of California seasons

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Date: 01/28/02
Time: 01:39 PM

I'm a wildlife ecologist trying to make sense of southern California plant phenology...Is there an accepted "definition" for seasons (i.e. winter, summer, etc.) in California?

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Date: 03/15/02
Time: 07:21 PM

Based on what I have observed and read, the growing season here is limited by cold in the winter and drought in the summer. You might want to look at Terrestrial Vegetation of California or that book on mediterranean climate areas.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Date: 04/25/02
Time: 03:49 PM

Our seasons are called the same (winter, fall, spring, summer) as anywhere else; however, the precipitation distribution and amounts, and temperatures vary somewhat. Basically, our Mediterranean climate provides most of lowland California with wet, cool winters with little frost, and hot, dry summers. Most plant growth in upland areas occurs during the winter and spring months when soil moisture is available. Some plant species go dormant during the drought period, including many shrub species of Coastal Sage Scrub vegetation. Most annual species complete their life cycles by or before summer, except there a number of annual species that grow mostly during the dry summer season. Water is the primary limiting factor for plant growth during the summer drought, not temperature. High elevation areas typically receive at least some summer rain, and are definately dormant when winter snows are present.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Date: 01/28/02
Time: 01:41 PM

Whoops! Hit the post button before I was ready. I'm specifically interested in the south coast of California. Thanks.