PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia Seeds

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Date: 07/24/01
Time: 01:44 PM

I am working with a new grassroots group called the Sequoia ForestKeeper. Our mission is to protect and restore the ecosystems of the Sequoia National Forest and the Giant Sequoia National Monument through monitoring, enforcement, education and litigation. As part of our launch, on September 20th, we would like to send a few Sequoia seeds as part of the invitation to key guests. Can anyone tell me how I can order/buy these seeds?

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Date: 07/31/01
Time: 12:28 PM

California Department of Forestry (CDF) has a web site where you can order Sequoia seed at a fair price.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Date: 08/07/01
Time: 10:09 PM

Stacia -

This new organization sounds like a good one, and I hope you will send the CNPS state office information about it, in case our chapter newsletter editors want to let people know. If you get a website, CNPS could have a link to it.

While the idea of giving people giant sequoia seeds is well-intentioned, it might not be such a good idea. The reason is that this tree is hard to grow outside its native area. It is hard to get the seeds to germinate, and they have a rather low rate of viability. The young trees do all right for a while, but in many parts of the state, they die after 10 or 20 years. Then, too, even if all your attendees were from the giant sequoia's natural habitat, not everyone has room for a tree that will eventually attain huge dimensions.

I am hoping there might be another gift you can give attendees that will honor the giant sequoia, wihout costing your group a lot of money. Maybe you can get an artist to donate Sequoiadendron notecards or something. If you must give away seeds, timber companies that have their own tree nurseries are the most reliable source. Which timber companies log in the giant sequoia region? I think the answer is Sierra Pacific. There may be other non-timber company forest nurseries, but I don't know of any.\

Maybe someone else will read your message and think of an alternative gift idea for you! Anyway, good luck with the new organization!

...Lori Hubbart