PDA

View Full Version : UC Merced public comment period coming in August

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Date: 07/01/01
Time: 03:19 PM

CNPSers and Plant Activists --

The draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the UC Merced Long Range Development Plan and the Phase I construction will be released on or about July 31, 2001. This California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) document will have a 45 day comment period.

Concurrently, the County of Merced will release their draft EIR for the proposed University Community Plan. This is the new town to support the UC campus.

Consecutively, the UC will be submitting a Clean Water Act 404 Permit Application for their prefered alterntive in late August. This permit will trigger another comment period and eventually require the preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). We expect the first comment period on this federal action to have a mid-October deadline.

In addition to the proposed campus and proposed campus community, their is a highway project entitled the Campus Parkway which is also in the process of preparing environmental review documents. The current road project claims no connection to the proposed UC Merced campus. Project proponents will be issuing a joint EIR/EIS in early summer 2002.

And finally to justify and mitigate for all of the environmental impacts of the proposed UC Merced project, the County of Merced is in the beginning phases of developing an Natural Communities Conservation Plan slash Habitat Conservation Plan (NCCP/HCP) for the eastern Merced Region. According to the schedule, the plan might be completed about the time they cut the ribbon on Phase I construction.

I urge you to become informed about the proposed UC Merced project and to comment upon the environmental documents which will be distributed for public review in August.

For thd most up-to-date information on this project visit http://www.vernalpools.org/UCMerced.

Carol Witham

CNPS UC Merced Conservation Action Team Co-chair