PDA

View Full Version : Dichanthelium lanuginosum

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Date: 08/06/00
Time: 07:51 PM

I notice that the species, Dichanthelium lanuginosum, which is found at the Geysers is listed as state-endangered. However that is not the case for the ones found at Lassen National Volcanic Park. Does someone know whether the two areas contain the same species/variety of Dichanthelium or two? Thanks.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Date: 08/07/00
Time: 07:33 PM

The treatment for Dichanthelium lanuginosum used by the DFG and by CNPS is the one published in Madrono 23(3):134-152. In California, there are two varieties:

1) Dichanthelium lanuginosum var. fasciculatum is fairly common and widespread in the Coast Ranges, Sierra Nevada, and Cascades extending northward into Canada and east into Arizona and Utah. [This treatment lumps the former Panicum lassenianum (the Lassen Peak hot spring plants you mentioned)into D. l. var. fasciculatum calling it a physiologically differentiated climatic and edaphic ecotype.]

2) Dichanthelium lanuginosum var. thermale is endemic to the Geysers geothermal area and is listed as Endangered under the California Endangered Species Act.

The var. thermale is densely clothed with fine soft hairs while the var. fasciculatum may or may not have hairs, but does not have fine soft hairs throughout.

If you are interested in reading the treatment and do not have access to Madrono, send me an email and I will send you a photocopy or scan.

Cheers, Carol